WELCOME TO
The Monastery B & B
Button
National Geographic Traveler picked Muskoka as a top 10 travel destination in the world! Bracebridge is a charming town situated central to all Muskoka's magic scenery and attractions.

Choose affordable elegance for your visit to Muskoka. The Monastery is a delightful and luxurious renovation of a section of an historic monastery property. Our 1.4 acre site is in a quiet residential neighbourhood, on the east bank of the Muskoka River in Bracebridge.

An order of Anglican brothers, The Society of Saint John the Evangelist, ministered to the region from 1928-1983 from this monastery. The property was divided into three private residences in 1988, and this centre section, distinguished by a working bell tower, has been tastefully renovated into a 4,000 square-foot light and airy home.

Downtown Bracebridge is about a 10-minute walk or 2-minute drive (1.3 km) ... visit fine restaurants and pubs, interesting boutiques, and Bracebridge Bay waterfall and historical attractions. Access to the Wilson's Falls hiking trail is about a block away, connecting to the Trans Canada Trail.

Highway 11 is also 2 minutes away ... a short drive to boat cruises, Muskoka summer theatres, numerous local artisans, championship golf courses, cross country and downhill skiing, hiking and bike trails, fishing and boating. Algonquin Park is only 45 minutes away.

Click to play 2-minute video on Muskoka
Click to Link to interactive Google map of Muskoka Region
Click to Link to customized interactive Google  map of Bracebridge
OUR SPACIOUS ROOMS
LARKIN SUITE
The LARKIN SUITE is on the ground floor in a wing named after Gerald Larkin, heir of the Salada Tea firm, whose estate financed 1963 monastery additions, including the bell tower and stonework to match the chapel. Your own private two-bedroom suite has central air-conditioning as required or cross-ventilation from multiple east-west windows. A private central hallway links two well-appointed bedrooms and a large 3-piece washroom. The Peach Room (left) has a queen bed; the Four Poster Room (right) has a double bed, a larger sitting area, and the TV.
PALMER ROOM
The PALMER ROOM is named after Father R.F. Palmer, the original and principal Superior of the monastery. This upper-floor room is very spacious, with queen-sized bed, change room, and large ensuite 3-piece washroom. Large windows on two sides and two in the washroom assure fresh air and natural light. Comfort assured by ceiling fan and/or central air-conditioning as required.
 

SADLER SUITE
The SADLER SUITE is an upstairs wing named after Rev. R.T. Sadler, the Anglican priest who developed the monastery property in the 1920's. Your own private two-bedroom suite has central air-conditioning as required or cross-ventilation from east-west windows. A private hallway links two richly decorated bedrooms and a 3-piece washroom. The Gable Room (left) has a double bed, large sitting area, desk, and TV; the Gold Room (right) has twin four-poster beds.
Policies & Rates‬‏
Generous breakfasts are served in either the formal dining room or the kitchen/family room oak table looking out at the river ravine. Daily hot breakfast house features are complemented by fresh fruit dishes, baked items, and specialty teas and coffee.
The spacious living room is reserved for guest use - an album with notes and pictures documents the history of the property
                               RATES

All rates are $Cdn with no tax added; full breakfast included.

For all units (Palmer Room or Suites), base rate is $135 double (or single) occupancy.

Extra persons in the Suites, normally $55 each; in the Palmer Room normally $40.

VISA or MasterCard accepted.

      Check Availability
Open year round; November through May by reservation only.           Check-in time - as arranged; normal check-out - 11:00am. 

Two night minimum on summer/fall weekends. NOTE - this in practice means NOT Saturday-only; one-night bookings for Fri or Sun would generally be accepted. Thus, Sat-only might be available for a room which was already booked for the Friday - check calendar link for vacancies.

In-house wireless broadband internet access.
 
No smoking or pets please.


Cancellation Policy: No charge with 48 hours notice, or if room can be rebooked. Otherwise, charged for one night or 50% of multi-night reservation. Reservations must be confirmed via credit card..

SEND AN E-MAIL
Name
Message
Email
Phone
Date(s) Requested
Number of People
Submit
CONTACT INFO
Address:
15 Sadler Drive, Bracebridge, Ontario, P1L 1K5

Telephone:

(705) 646-0871

Facebook Page
MUSKOKA ATTRACTIONS

Boat cruises, scenic drives, hiking, artisans, historic sites, festivals, concerts, canoe / kayak / paddleboard rentals, microbreweries, theatre,
Santa's Village, waterfalls, winter fun.

That and more, best explored on Muskoka Tourism's "Things to Do" page ... click image to right.
The historic plaque outside the small cemetery beside the former Chapel gives an overview of the operations of The Society of Saint John the Evangelist in Muskoka. They were called the "Cowley Fathers" (or less reverently "The Cauliflowers") because of the origin of the order in Cowley, England.

Circa 1928 the original structure contained a small chapel, chapter room, refectory, common room , library, cells, and an attic dormitory. The bell the Society possessed was found to be too heavy to mount on the roof, so it was placed on blocks in the yard,  and was easily rung, functioning seven times throughout each day, signifying various changes in the regimen of the Society members.

In the early 1930s, need for a larger chapel emerged, and the project started, using only local granite. The cornerstone was laid in July, 1931, and on Sept 23rd, 1933, Canada's first monastic chapel for men was consecrated as “The Collegiate Chapel of the S.S.J.E.”.
By the fall of 1933, the site appeared as at the left, with a small side sacristy added to the north side of the chapel.

The spring of 1938 saw yet another expansion. A new guest wing was added to the sacristy, parallel to the Collegiate Church. This expansion contained a large guest common room, a library, and eleven other rooms. This enabled the Society to use the former guest quarters themselves. The Society's library was transferred to the old guest common room. This expansion of guest quarters allowed four more rooms to be added to the original Retreat House without any major structural changes.

The 1938 Guest House was the origin of the section that is our present-day B&B. The chimney in the centre at the right is for the fireplace in today's kitchen / family room.

The picture at the left shows the back of the chapel, with the Sacristy section connecting to the front of the Guest House.

Mr. Gerald Larkin, heir of the Salada Tea firm, had always been a supporter of the S.S.J.E. When he died in 1962, the Society was a major beneficiary to the estate. In the summer of 1963 construction began on additions to the Retreat House and renovation of the existing buildings to provide larger guest accommodation, a larger refectory, and a more up-to-date kitchen.

The new wing, with the bell tower, on the east end of the 1938 guest house, now is the front of our present day building. What was then a library / chapter room is now our Guest Lounge, and all the guest bedrooms are in this front "wing".

Considerably more detail is contained in our "Historical Notes" binder in the Guest Lounge.